(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
Danny:Have you been following the Schirru case?
丹尼:你一直在跟斯基鲁的案子吗?
Carol:Yeah, I have. I think he's guilty.
卡罗:是的 。我觉得他有罪 。
Danny:You're kidding, right?
丹尼:你在开玩笑吗?
He's innocent and this is a show trial.
他是无辜的,这次公审就是摆摆样子 。
The district attorney is conducting a witch-hunt for his own political ambitions.
地方检察官就是打击下他的政治野心 。
Carol:No, he's not.
卡罗:不,他才不清白呢 。
It is a high-profile case, but that's only because he wants to make an example of Schirru.
这是一起备受关注的案件,但只是因为检察官想通过斯基鲁一案警戒他人 。
People like him should be off the streets.
像他这样的人应该从街上消失 。
Putting him in jail sends a message to other criminals.
把他送进监狱,就是对其他犯罪者传达消息 。
Danny:What kind of message?
丹尼:什么样的消息?
Carol:The message that the government is cracking down.
卡罗:政府决心镇压的消息 。
Danny:I think it's just grandstanding and Schirru is being made a sacrificial lamb.
丹尼:我认为这有些哗众取宠而且斯基鲁成了牺牲品 。
Carol:You can believe what you like,
卡罗:你可以相信你的想法,
but I think it's great that the district attorney is taking a stand.
但我认为这样做很伟大,地区检察官正在摆明立场 。
Danny:Yes, but he seems to be doing it at the expense of real justice.
丹尼:是的,但是他似乎是以真正的正义为代价 。
Carol:Not from where I'm standing.
卡罗尔:上述言论不代表我的立场 。
Danny:Then you need to find a new place to stand–preferably one without blind spots.
丹尼:那么你需要找到一个新立场,最好是没有盲点的 。
详细解释
show trial摆样子公审
district attorney地方检察官
political ambition政治企图心
high-profile高调的;备受瞩目的