BBC地平线系列之《为何无法预测地震》第35期:地震时被困电梯
日期:2013-05-28 23:24

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听

In a big San Andreas earthquake,
在圣安地列斯地震中
this station would move more than a metre
这个站点在约小于十秒的时间内
within a matter of less than ten seconds,
移动到一米以外的地方
so other stations like this positioned all along
所以其他类似的延圣安地列斯断裂带
the San Andreas Fault could
设置的站点实际上也能
actually track the rupture as it's progressing.
起到追踪断裂活动的作用
We're seeing it here coming up the fault
我们可以看到 从这里开始是断层
and the red is where there's a lot of damage,
红色部分表示重灾区
so we could have used our stations in this area,
因此我们可以将站点安置在这个区域
at this point, 20 seconds into the earthquake.
这时 地震刚开始二十秒
Know that it's underway,
我们知道地震已经开始
we've got a big earthquake started
随后地震会渐趋强烈
and send that information to Los Angeles
在强震到达洛杉矶前我们能及时
that the earthquake's underway.
发出预警信号
We could potentially get up to a minute's warning.
我们或能做到提前一分钟发出预警信号
You could hook this up to your elevator
如果这时你不巧正在电梯里
and have your elevator moved to the nearest floor
你就有机会下降到最近的楼层
and open the doors, so people weren't trapped
打开大门 那人们就不会
for the next few days after the power goes out.
在电力中断后的几天内被困
We could ring an alarm in operating room,
我们可以敲响手术室的警钟
so the surgeon pulls the scalpel out of your chest.
那外科医生就能暂停手术
You could ring an alarm
你可以敲响
where they're handling toxic materials,
毒物处理室的警钟
so you're not pouring out chlorine.
这样就不会发生氯气泄漏事故

重点解释

You could hook this up to your elevator and have your elevator moved to the nearest floor如果这时你不巧正在电梯里,你就有机会下降到最近的楼层

hook up:将 ... 联接起来

We are planning to hook up the whole area.

我们正计划使整个地区可以通话。

We are planning to hook up the whole area.

我们正计划使整个地区可以通话。

so you're not pouring out chlorine.这样就不会发生氯气泄漏事故

pour out:倾倒

Pour out the water left in the bucket.

把桶里的剩水倒出来。

this station would move more than a metre within a matter of less than ten seconds,这个站点在约小于十秒的时间内移动到一米以外的地方

more than:超过;多于;不仅仅

This city has a population of more than 1,000,000.

这个城市人口超过一百万。

I'll stay here not more than three days.

我将待在这里最多不超过三天。

常用短语:

more often than not往往

When it's foggy the trains are late more often than not.

雾大时火车往往误点。

分享到
重点单词
  • potentiallyadv. 潜在地
  • scalpeln. 手术刀,解剖刀
  • earthquaken. 地震
  • populationn. 人口 ,(全体)居民,人数
  • hookn. 钩状物,勾拳,钩 v. 钩住,弯成(钩装),当妓女
  • bucketn. 水桶 vt. 装在桶里 vi. 急急忙忙
  • trackn. 小路,跑道,踪迹,轨道,乐曲 v. 跟踪,追踪
  • elevatorn. 电梯,飞机升降舵,斗式皮带输送机
  • faultn. 缺点,过失,故障,毛病,过错,[地]断层 vt.
  • chlorinen. 氯