BBC地平线系列之《为何无法预测地震》第30期:对下次地震做准备
日期:2013-05-23 19:49

(单词翻译:单击)

原文视听

Would you live directly on it, Ken?
肯 你会住在断层上吗
No, when we were looking for a house,
不会 我们找房子的时候
we looked at some houses
看过一些建在
that were right on top of the Sierra Madre fault
塞拉马里断层正上方的房子
and we decided to keep looking.
然后决定继续找别的
Similarly, when we were looking at the house,
同样地 当我们在看房子时
I was probably more interested in the structural integrity of it
我比其他人对房子结构的整体性
and the construction of it than most people would be.
和其构造更为关注
Geologist Ken Hudnut works for the US GS,
地质学家肯·哈德纳特在美国地质局工作
preparing Los Angeles for the next big earthquake.
正在为洛杉矶的下一次强震作准备
You can see here a brand new development
你可以看到那一片新开发区
going right up to the Cucamonga Falls.
正往上向着库卡蒙加瀑布开发
We think that that fault is capable of a magnitude 7.5,
我们认为 即使没有圣安地列斯断层
7.6 earthquake on its own,
那个断层也能
without any involvement of the San Andreas Fault itself.
独自引发7.5级或7.6级地震
That gap is there because
为了与断层保持一定距离
they have to set back away from the fault,
所以那片地空了出来
that's the case for any fault that's considered active,
对于所有活跃断层一律采取这种措施
and by that, the state law says
同时 本州法律规定
if it has had surface faulting within the last 10,000 years
规划地必须与在近一万年内发生过
you need to set back from it.
地表断裂活动的地区保持距离

重点解释

I was probably more interested in the structural integrity of it我比其他人对房子结构的整体性

interest in:对 ... 有兴趣

He is interested in music, and I in photography.

他对音乐有兴趣,而我对摄影感兴趣。

常用短语:

in the interest of为了 ... 的利益

All I did is in the interest of the family.

我做的一切都是为了这个家的利益。

take an interest in对 ... 感兴趣

Do your parents take an interest in your friends?

你的父母有兴趣了解你的朋友吗?

preparing Los Angeles for the next big earthquake.正在为洛杉矶的下一次强震作准备

prepare for:为 ... 做准备

They made a fire to prepare for supper.

他们生火做晚饭。

常用短语:

prepare against准备应付

The sailors began to prepare against a rough night.

海员们开始准备应付一个惊涛骇浪之夜。

You can see here a brand new development going right up to the Cucamonga Falls.你可以看到那一片新开发区正往上向着库卡蒙加瀑布开发

right up to:直到

I felt it was now or never and went right up to him.

我感到机不可失,所以径直走到他面前。

We drove right up to the front door .

我们将车一直开到大门。

分享到
重点单词
  • brandn. 商标,牌子,烙印,标记 vt. 打烙印,铭刻,加污
  • constructionn. 建设,建造,结构,构造,建筑物
  • earthquaken. 地震
  • capableadj. 有能力的,足以胜任的,有 ... 倾向的
  • involvementn. 包含,缠绕,混乱,复杂的情况
  • integrityn. 诚实,正直,完整,完善
  • faultn. 缺点,过失,故障,毛病,过错,[地]断层 vt.
  • roughadj. 粗糙的,粗略的,粗暴的,艰难的,讨厌的,不适的
  • magnituden. 大小,重要,光度,(地震)级数,(星星)等级