(单词翻译:单击)
播客原文
Dan:Hello.
丹:哈罗 。
Marcia:Hi, Dan. What's the status on the project? We're still on schedule, right?
玛西亚:嗨,丹 。目前项目有何进展?还在按照预定时间进行吗?
Dan:Uh, well, I've been meaning to call you about that. We've had a slight delay.
丹:额,但是,我一直想打电话反映 。我们稍微延迟了一点 。
Marcia:What do you mean by “slight”? Are you saying that you won't be able to meet the deadline?
玛西亚:你说“稍微”是什么意思?你是指到截止日期时完成不了任务?
Dan:Not exactly. I'm only asking that you grant us a short extension.
丹:不完全这样 。我只请求你将期限延长一点 。
Marcia:How short?
玛西亚:延长多久?
Dan:A week or two, tops. We hit a minor snag, but we should have everything up and running in no time.
丹:一个星期,最多两个星期 。我们遇到一个小问题,但我们会立即让项目重新运行起来 。
Marcia:If the project has come to a grinding halt, then it doesn't sound like a minor snag. We're running on a tight schedule and we don't have a lot of time to spare.
玛西亚:如果项目突然半路停止,那就不是小问题了 。我们的时间安排本来就很紧密,实在没有多少空闲的时间 。
Dan:I know that all too well.
丹:这情况我也十分了解 。
Marcia:Good, then I don't have to spell it out for you.
玛西亚:好吧,那么不用我告诉你怎么做了吧 。
Dan:No, you don't. My head is on the chopping block and the clock is ticking.
丹:不,不用 。时间紧迫,感觉马上要上断头台,而时钟还在滴答作响 。
原文译文属可可原创,未经允许请勿转载!
俚语解说
Idiom:on the chopping block
Meaning:at risk of being laid off or terminated;
受到解雇的威胁;期限快到
Chopping block意为砧板;剁肉板;切菜板 。
Usage note:当 project 即将完成的重要关头, 项目头子对属下叮咛或艰难的实验, deadline 在即时可以运用这个短语
。其次在千万不能出错的情况下, 也可以使用此短语 。
Example:
1.If you mess this up, our whole future is on the chopping block. 如果你把这事儿搞砸了, 我们的整个未来就受到严重威胁 。
2. For you to vote against the president after all he has done for you would be to put your head on the chopping-block.
尽管董事长在各方面照顾你,你要投票反对他,这会毁掉你的前程的 。