(单词翻译:单击)
播客原文
Cora: What's up with Rob? He hasn't been himself lately.
科拉:罗伯怎么了?他最近老是恍恍惚惚的 。
Doug: You've noticed, too, huh?
道格:你也注意到了吗,嗯?
Cora: Yeah, he's been missing work and letting things slip through the cracks. I've been cutting him some slack and filling in for him, but things haven't improved.
科拉:是的,他耽误了工作,听任事情朝糟糕的方向发展 。这次我先放他一马,帮他摆平 。但是事情并没有好转 。
Doug: I know what you mean. I'd never known Rob to drop the ball on anything until recently. I heard a rumor that he's having financial problems.
道格:我知道你的意思 。直到最近我才知道罗伯把一切都搞砸了 。有流言说他遇到财政问题 。
Cora: No, not Rob! He has more clients than anyone around here.
科拉:不,不是罗伯!他的客户比在座的都要多 。
Doug: Well, he's been off his game for a while now, so some of those accounts might have gone up in smoke.
道格:好吧,现在他的工作状态不佳,那么其中的一些收益就化为乌有了 。
Cora: Are you going to have a talk with him? Maybe you could help.
科拉:你要找他谈话吗?也许你能帮帮他 。
Doug: Me? Why me?
道格:我,怎么会是我呢?
Cora: I thought you two were pretty tight.
科拉:我觉得你们俩关系很紧密 。
Doug: We're friendly at work, but we're not really friends. The last thing I want to do is to snoop around in his business.
道格:我们只是工作上的朋友,但不是真正意义上的朋友 。我最不愿意做的事情就是打探他的生意 。
Cora: But maybe he's just waiting for a shoulder to cry on. You might be just the person to get him to bare his soul.
科拉:但也许他正需要一个可以依靠的肩膀 。你也许就是那个可以让他敞开心扉的人 。
Doug: Spoken just like a woman! You all think we men are waiting to bare our souls and to let our emotions out. Just leave Rob alone to solve his own problems.
道格:你们女人就是喜欢婆婆妈妈!不要都觉得我们男人需要敞开心扉,让情绪发泄出来 。让罗伯独自待着,自己解决问题吧 。
Cora: Spoken just like a cold-hearted man!
科拉:真是个冷血的男人!
原文译文属可可原创,未经允许请勿转载!
俚语解说
今天要学的习语是:drop the ball
。 Drop the ball从字面看是说把已经拿在手里的球掉了 。这个短语显然来自体育活动 。在打球的时候如果谁失手掉了手上的球,可是个严重的失误 。比方说棒球赛的接球员要是让球掉在地上,就会产生不利于本队的比分,而这倒霉的接球员也有了个严重的失球记录 。大约在上个世纪的五十年代drop the ball开始成为广泛应用在日常生活各方面的俚语 。那么当drop the ball不局限于球场的时候,它用来指人的什么行为呢?
Idiom:drop the ball
Meaning:to make a mistake, especially by doing something in a stupid or careless way;to fail to keep working to reach a goal
犯错误;搞砸;失职
Example:
We were sure we'd get the big contract with this customer to build a new factory but Lee dropped the ball.
我们原以为必然会从这个主顾手上接下建造新厂的那份大工程合同,但是李却在作预算的时候犯了错误
。