(单词翻译:单击)
播客原文
Cleo: The new TV season is starting this week and I can't wait. I've been watching reruns all summer and I'm ready for the premiers of my favorite shows.
克利奥:新一季电视剧从这个星期开始播,我都等不及了 。整个暑假我都在观看重播 。我已经准备好观看这部我最爱看的电视剧的首映 。
Victor: You watch Madwomen, right?
维克多:你看《疯女人》,对吗?
Cleo: Yes, it's my favorite show.
克利奥:是的,它是我最爱看的电视剧 。
Victor: Then I've got some bad news for you. It's been cancelled.
维克多:那么我有件坏消息要告诉你 。它被取消了 。
Cleo: How is that possible? The show was on hiatus last season because of contract negotiations, but I heard that it had been renewed for another season. The season finale was a cliffhanger!
克利奥:那怎么可能?因为合同协商事宜,这部电视剧的上一季曾暂时停播,但我听说已经又更新了一季 。上一季结局真是扣人心弦!
Victor: I know, but something must have gone wrong. They filmed two episodes, which they'll air, but then there'll be a mid-season replacement.
维克多:我知道,但是肯定有什么事情不对劲 。他们拍摄了两季,这两季都会播出,然而中间却被其它节目取代 。
Cleo: This is outrageous! I've been waiting nearly two years for its return. Oh well, at least I can watch my other favorite show tonight, Reviver.
克利奥:真是骇人听闻!我等这部电视剧的回归有两年了 。哎,不过,我至少还能观看另一部我喜欢的电视,《复活者》 。
Victor: Sorry, but it's been preempted. The President is giving a televised speech tonight.
维克多:很抱歉,它也被占线了 。总统今晚要在电视机前演讲 。
Cleo: Are you kidding me?!
克利奥:你不是在开玩笑吧?!
Victor: Nope, sorry.
维克多:没有,抱歉 。
Cleo: The world is conspiring against me. I've had enough. I'm giving up TV watching!
克利奥:全世界都在跟我作对 。我受够了 。我再也不看电视了!
Victor: You? That I've got to see!
维克多:你?我倒要看看!
俚语解说
Idioms: conspire against sth
Definition:If events or conditions conspire against something or conspire to do something, they combine in such a way that they spoil your plans; to join with someone in a plot against someone or something else.
与......作对;背叛;破坏
Example:
1. The CEO conspired with the board of directors against the stockholders.
2. I'd planned a romantic evening together, but circumstances conspired against it—friends arrived unexpectedly and then Dave was called out to an emergency.
Quiz:
Which kind of literary works is more cliffhanger?
A. romantic novel
B. detective fiction
C. fairy tales