地道美语听力播客:后悔做过的事
日期:2012-02-03 14:48

(单词翻译:单击)

英文对话
Dennis: Oh, why did I let my temper get the best of me? I never should have said those things to the new client!
噢,我为什么让自己的脾气占了上风?我不应该说对新顾客说这些话!

Nora: Don’t freak out. I’m sure you didn’t do any damage that can’t be rectified. It’s true that, in retrospect, you probably shouldn’t have called Nathan, the head of the project, a twerp.
不要焦虑不安。我敢肯定你造成的伤害并不是无法挽回的。这是真的,现在回想起来,你可也许不应该给项目经理Nathan打电话,他很讨人厌。

Dennis: Don’t remind me of what I said! Hindsight is 20/20. Now they’re going to think we’re running a dog and pony show.
不要提醒我那些我说过的话!事后是20/20。做事后诸葛亮很容易,他们会认为我们正在作秀。

Nora: No, they’re not. Nathan was being unreasonable and you tried to sugarcoat your objections the best you could. Everybody could see that you were trying to pull your punches, but that guy just wouldn’t give an inch.
不,他们不会的。Nathan不讲理,而且你尽全力试图粉饰你的反对。大家可以看到你故意不猛烈攻击,但那个家伙只是不让步。

Dennis: Nevertheless, this is going to have repercussions.
不过,这会产生不良的反响。

Nora: Oh, here comes the boss now. I think she wants to talk to you.
噢,现在老板来了。我觉得她想和你谈谈。

Dennis: I’ve no doubt about that.
我对那毫无疑问。

Nora: What do you suppose she’s going to say?
你想她会说什么?

Dennis: I know exactly what she’s going to say: Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!
我确信知道她会说:不要让门挡住了你出去的路。

词汇讲解
1.get the best of 战胜
Heart disease can get the best of us.
心脏病可能会压倒我们。

2.freak out 焦虑不安
This ordinary quiet guy just freaked out and shot ten people.
这个平时温和的家伙简直发疯了,开枪打死了十个人。

3.in retrospect 回想起来,事后看来
In retrospect, it's easy to see why we were wrong.
回顾过去就很容易明白我们的错处了.

4.Hindsight is 20/20. 事后的诸葛亮容易做。

5.dog and pony show 作秀
Happy to help with the dog and pony show.
很荣幸能帮你做秀

6.pull your punches 故意不用全力打(故意不猛烈攻击)
Come now; give me your honest opinion of Henry.Don't pull any punches.
说吧,告诉我你对亨利真实的想法,毫不留情地批评吧。

7.give an inch 让步
Never Give an Inch
永不让步。

分享到
重点单词
  • tempern. 脾气,性情 vt. 使缓和,调和 n. 调剂
  • unreasonableadj. 不合理的,过度的,不切实际的
  • neverthelessadv. 仍然,不过 conj. 然而,不过
  • retrospectn. 回顾,追溯 v. 回顾,回想,追溯 n.对症