总统就职演说精萃:美国第43任总统乔治·布什第一次就职演讲(4)
日期:2009-03-11 12:12

(单词翻译:单击)

就职演讲

We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness invite challenge.
我们要防患于未然,懈怠会带来麻烦。
We will confront weapons of mass destruction, so that a new century is spared new horrors.
我们还要阻止武器泛滥,使新的世纪摆脱恐怖的威胁。
The enemies of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America remains engaged in the world by history and by choice, shaping a balance of power that favors freedom.
反对自由和反对我们国家的人应该明白:美国仍将积极参与国际事务,力求世界力量的均衡,让自由的力量遍及全球。这是历史的选择。
We will defend our allies and our interests.
我们会保护我们的盟国,捍卫我们的利益。
We will show purpose without arrogance.
我们将谦逊地向世界人民表示我们的目标。
We will meet aggression and bad faith with resolve and strength.
我们将坚决反击各种侵略和不守信用的行径。
And to all nations, we will speak for the values that gave our nation birth.
我们要向全世界宣传孕育了我们伟大民族的价值观。
America, at its best, is compassionate.
正处在鼎盛时期的美国也不缺乏同情心。
In the quiet of American conscience, we know that deep, persistent poverty is unworthy of our nation's promise.
当我们静心思考,我们就会明了根深蒂固的贫穷根本不值得我国作出承诺。
And whatever our views of its cause, we can agree that children at risk are not at fault.
无论我们如何看待贫穷的原因,我们都必须承认,孩子敢于冒险不等于在犯错误。
Abandonment and abuse are not acts of God, they are failures of love.
放纵与滥用都为上帝所不容,这些都是缺乏爱的结果。
And the proliferation of prisons, however necessary, is no substitute for hope and order in our souls.
监狱数量的增长虽然看起来是有必要的,但并不能代替我们心中的希望-人人遵纪守法。
Where there is suffering, there is duty. Americans in need are not strangers, they are citizens; not problems, but priorities.
哪里有痛苦,我们的义务就在哪里。对我们来说,需要帮助的美国人不是陌生人,而是我们的公民;不是负担,而是急需救助的对象。
And all of us are diminished when any are hopeless.
当有人陷入绝望时,我们大家都会因此变得渺小。
总统介绍
乔治·沃克·布什(别名“小布什”),1946年7月6日,出生于美国康涅狄格州。于1995年-2000年间担任第46任的德克萨斯州州长。于2001年-2009年担任美国第43任(第54-55届)总统,任内遭遇了2001年的9·11事件,随后于2001年-2003年先后发动阿富汗战争、伊拉克战争等一系列反恐战争并取得较大成效,推行了1.3万亿元的减税计划、以及对于医疗保险和社会福利体制的改革和社会保守主义的政策。


分享到